Saturday 23 May 2015

Teachers' Day at SK Kg. Berangan & SK Banggol Pa' Esah

On 18th of May, two of my neighbouring schools had Teachers' Day Celebrations on the same day. It is well known; I'm a party animal. So, I went to both jubilant events.  My first stop was SK Kampong Berangan.

I got there in time for the teacher relay games.  We were assembled in groups of 7 on the basketball court. The first fun game was to pass bags of water from the front of the line to the back of line, without breaking them in a timely fashion. I also received some gifts from a few precious students, It wasn't much longer, before I requested to suit up and join the Teachers on the pitch. Football (soccer) is not my strongest sport, but I'm always game to play. It was a pleasure to play next to the likes of Teacher Kamaruddin

The sun was scorching on the football field at 10:00 am. It was like Clash of the Titans, Teachers versus Students.  I was grossly unprepared for the gruelling task.  I kicked off my sandals and played barefoot just like the majority of the SKKB student team. Luckily, the few times I got the ball, I was able to pass to a competent teammate. I have to mention, Ustaz Nassar was phenomenal on the field.  Actually all the Ustazs were really good.  About 2/3 into the first half I was replaced by the talented Teacher Mazwan.  It was close game to the end, but the teachers were triumphant. Gomo Kelatae Gomo.

I barely caught my breath, before I made a move to SK Banggol Pa Esah. I happen to reach school on time for more Teacher relay games. This time I represented the GB's team. The first game I played was we had a balloon tied via rubber banded to our leg. Then all the men from the other teams converged in a circle and bedlam began. The object was to stomp and pop the opponents ballon while protecting your own. The lady teachers followed suit.

Next, we assembled in a lines of 7 teachers. We were all given a water-ballon, except one lucky person who was the designated catcher. On our team, the position was filled by GB Cikgu Subri.  6 of us lined up about 12 yards from the catcher and we had to toss our ballon to them. I was first, I threw my ballon with a bit of an arc and the GB skilfully caught it. He caught 4 water-balloons an earned us a second place finish.

The final challenge was a watermelon eating contest. Watermelon has a strong association with the lazy crazy days of summer to me. Today was no exception. Each team was given a whole tasty weight equivalent watermelon. On the count of three, each group had to cut their watermelon into pieces, the first group to consume the watermelon wins. As soon as a piece was sliced, it was gripped into a teacher hands to be devoured.

Seeds and watermelon rinds were flying everywhere during the contest, again our team had a top finish.  Even though I was overloaded with watermelon, I made some room for the Teachers' feast. Many teachers went for the laksa, my eyes were focused on the red pulut with rendang. I was delightfully delicious; however, I had to pass on the additional watermelon for desert.

I had a blast at both events. I'm overwhelmed on how gracious and accepting all the GBs, PKs, teachers, ustaz, ustazahs, staff and students are to me. It is an honour to celebrate and be included in the ilk of such wonderful and professional Malaysian Teachers.
Happy Teachers' Day, You Deserve It!







Rockin' Teachers' Day SKKB style




GB's Team winning basket SKBPE




No comments:

Post a Comment